Friday, May 25, 2012

'Bod got yo' Back' Syndrome

There is something about coming off a crunch time stretch that causes everything in life to suddenly become light and relaxed.  At the end of every stressful period of life I seem to get sick.  I know my health habits are not prime during these times and light sleep and stress don't help.  But at the same time there is another affect called Bod's Got your Back syndrome.

Quick background on BGB syndrome.  Every single one of us has our mind, who calls the shots, and our body which for the most part goes along.  No secret.  The cliche 'Mind over matter' acknowledges this distinction.  Rather than putting the two at odds, one over the other that is, the smarter approach is to have the mind in sync with the body.  The two recognize the other's needs and give and take.  For example some days I go out and trying to keep up my gagillion miles a minute, (A gagillion is a feeling more than a number, and it is often a lot until you actually quantify it.  Like if I ate a gagillion donuts I probably had like 3 and ripped off the corner of a fourth that looked good.) and my head just gets stuck in a fog and I feel like my eyes are going to burst and after several minutes of trying to plow through it I just go home to watch Modern Family or some other simple carb show (Quickly consumption and effect).  After that I feel fine, go work out, play games, and maybe even go back to work.  I'm not really sick but my body throws in some symptoms because it knows I need a break.  I need to take things lighter and relax by body convinces my brain it is sick so that it can partake in frivolity guilt free, and then my body lays off once the need is satisfied.  In short, 'Bod got my back'.  It would be deceptive, except the brain totally goes along with it.  It is like when you talk a teacher out of an assignment they didn't want to grade anyway.

 Anyways the last couple of days had 'Bod's got my back'... So here are the results, enjoy.

I found a dog today.  It was so much fun.  I wish I could have dog  in our apartment.  I was walking home and saw Andrew walking the other way with a dog following him. I started petting her and playing with her and before I knew it I was the only one around with a big unknown Bernese Mountain Puppy looking super happy that she finally had someone's attention.  Fortunately she had a tag and if it weren't for the shedding I probably would've kept her for most of the day, scared the owners into keeping better track of her, and maybe gotten a reward for it.  I perhaps could have staged a dognapping ransom.  If I ever become desperate I'm probably going to steal rich people's pets and ransom them back.  I figure that the cops have better things to do than track a pet thief, and the pets won't resist in most cases.  But I got a hold of the owner and the owner came and picked her up.  Such is often the case with cute girls, easy come easy go.  

Next random event.  I went to go get ice cream yesterday and as I was buying the ice cream I realized that I was too thirsty to fully appreciate the ice cream, but the cougar eat has decided that all water cups will be Styrofoam.  For those who don't know Styrofoam never degrades, ever.  I politely decline the Styrofoam, and ask for a plastic cup pointing to the ones in the back, but apparently those are reserved for donut holes and are too expensive to be handed out as water cups.  The man behind me comments, 'You must be from Portland' which incites a 'Deeeaaar!' from his wife (As if that was a bad thing).  I turn and say 'Actually, yeah.  I am from Portland'.  The husband gives a triumphant, 'See!'.  Apparently Styrofoam is toxic to relationships as well.

Finally I'll leave this post on the same way that work ended yesterday, one last random event.  As we were finishing up the last few questions in the TA lab, one student was trying to squeeze in one last question before we left.  Usually that is a little annoying but this one was worth answering.

Luke: So I think you have it, good job.   What is your name?
Nick: Nick and you?
Luke: Luke.  Well have a good rest of the night.
Nick:  Thanks.  Wait a second...  (You ready for this?  It's going to be good...)

What is your favorite Star Wars character?

Often life requires hard work and deep thought, and on the whole a life needs focus and direction.  But sometimes we just need to stop, slow down and ask ourselves who our favorite Star Wars Character is.  Peace Love and Yoda.

No comments:

Post a Comment