Saturday, July 6, 2013

I'm on a FLOAT

The fourth of the July is easily one of the best holidays. Christmas, as everyone knows, is untouchable; the highest in the pantheon of holidays. Easter is another great holiday and while I appreciate more what is being celebrated, when it comes to celebrating, pagans do it best. And we really haven’t improved on the formula. Slaughter the fattened calf, stick him on a grill, make some burgers, jump in the river (pool), and then burn up the sky. The fourth is the most organic holiday we have.
In Provo there is one element however that has always been hard for me to appreciate, the parade. It’s not that a grand procession doesn’t have its place in a patriotic holiday; I just don’t understand how it is so integral that people will be camping over twenty-four hours in advance. My earliest memories of the parade were, as a seven-year-old, thinking, “It is hot, things are moving way too slowly, and frankly this is not that interesting.”
This year, very possibly my last fourth in Provo, I was determined to understand this ritual so foreign to me. So when my friend Erick was asking for volunteers to help with the parade, there was only one response. I had to confront the unknown and wade right into that knee-deep parade horse (refuse). 
Literally that was not necessary, Erick was in charge of the balloons, but I was ready for anything.
 I was told to be at the staging area in the parking lot near the BYU indoor practice facility for the parade by 7:00. I dutifully set my alarm to 6:30, hoping to have time for a nice breakfast. I need a good breakfast. I had trouble sleeping the whole night excited for the following day’s excitement but I eventually fell asleep with my head cranked in some awful position. I woke up with a kink in my neck and considered rolling back asleep when I looked at the window realizing that it was way too light to be 6:30 am. I bolted out of bed and my instincts were right, 6:53. I picked out some blue shorts and a red shirt, ran to the kitchen, smeared some peanut butter on an untoasted English muffin and ate it as I was walking out the door invariably ending up with some peanut butter on my shirt. Here I was about to parade around town with peanut butter on my shirt.
On the way to the parking lot I see participants for the freedom run 5k that precedes the race. I assumed that I was near the end of the race as many people were walking slowly and jogging, then I heard the DJ at the start of the race, “C’mon everyone! You can make it! We will be shutting down the start of the race in 10 minutes. You can make it to the starting line!” One man in particular caught my eye. He was a little over middle-aged and warming up as if he were running Boston. At the last moment he bursts across the line at a pace that I would be proud to keep. He then flew by all the mom’s pushing strollers. I guess some people just like to pass others.
I get to the parking lot at about 7:20 and make my way over to the balloons. Helium is at an ever-growing premium price. It’s actually quite the crises in the scientific world. So I was quite glad to hear that our floats were not being filled with helium but rather inflated by an air pump and generator. I was a little less happy when the generator was on and buzzing in my ear for the next three hours, but all in the name of science.
There I see a man that could pass as the real slim shady and who had let himself go.  His name was Chuck. I don’t mean to single out anyone or be judgmental; I only mention it as stark contrast to pretty much everything one would expect to find in small local parade in Utah marching inflatable characters through the roads. It took me a while to convince myself he was actually wearing a doo-rag on BYU property before I started to pay attention to what he was saying. He was basically telling us that we were to pull the balloons in a forward direction. I can handle that. He then explained that at some low-lying power lines it might be necessary to unplug the float so the balloon deflates enough to get under the lines, and then plug the balloon back in once past. I was slightly intimidated by that job description.
After the explanation I learned that the balloons weren’t supposed to leave until 9:20. It was 7:30. To all volunteer organizations, I don’t know why the fact that I am willing to give some of my time causes you to believe that you can make me sit around for hours before doing anything, give me an XL shirt because for some reason you decided to make more of that size than any other, listen to exaggerated explanations about how your organization is changing America, or give me a cold donut and tell me it is breakfast. I just want to get in, do good, and get out, and unless it’s court or American-Heritage ordered, I imagine most the world feels the same way.
I spent the first few minutes sitting under a tree.  My self-conscious fears of wearing a shirt with trace amounts of peanut butter on it were only fueled by the ants that started climbing on me.  I obviously had gotten the peanut butter off and maybe I just accidentally sat on an ant pile, but I needed to change shirts and fast.  Luckily they had volunteer shirts. Of course the only size left was XL and 5XL.  That is not a misprint.  We skipped to not double, not triple, not quadruple, but went straight to quintuple extra-large.  I tried it on.  
I’m pretty sure three people my size could have worn that shirt.  I settled on an extra-large.
With the plethora of time available I decided to go check out the other floats. The first thing I noticed was, of course, the tank.  How could I not?
The second was how many miss-small town girls there were. What are the rules of location in beauty pageantism? Do you have to be from the actual town or can you move in? How much competition is there? I feel like I would be capable to finish in the top-five in some of these smaller towns. What compels a person to enter a contest of beauty, are there golden apples? I thought Homer made it very clear that such things do not end well.
My attention was soon drawn to another float and more questions. Why does the U of U decide to parade a float every year in Provo? Is this meant to make the parade awkward? What school administrator thought this was a good idea? Does he/she still have a job? I’m not one to get ruffled up over a rivalry in which both teams usually finish outside the AP poll (There I said it! Neither one of us is that good. That goes for you too Utah State!), but why is their float always better than ours? 
I am so glad to be going to a real rivalry for graduate school (I am sure to eat those words).
Fortunately my mind was relieved of these questions of the soul by the arrival of my Chinese friends Roger and Judy who had volunteered as well.  The same way that I am my worst critic, many Americans, including myself, are America’s worst critics, much worse than even the French in my opinion.  Yet nothing melts my heart like when a foreigner shows patriotism towards our country. They don’t have to, and yet they still give love. We are far from perfect, but we must be doing something right.  What’s more I left home without my wallet, asked Roger if he could loan me some money to buy some oatmeal at Burger King.  I’m sure someday my kids will have to pay for that oatmeal but until then I’ll just keep living the American dream.  I’ll celebrate the fourth with the Chinese any day.  (I’m kidding Roger I have the cash and will pay you next time I see you.  Thanks I was starving!)
The parade was to be started by a host of emergency vehicles.  While they were waiting for the start I couldn’t help but notice that a fire truck was sitting unattended door wide open.  I couldn’t resist.  
I climbed up on in and sat at the steering wheel for exactly 1.8 seconds before I scampered on down, but my inner-child had time to let out a sigh of contentment.
Finally it was game time.  The balloons were to be inflated.  One was clearly Fred Flintstone, the other was an Uncle Sam, (Judy explained to use that Uncle Sam came from U.S.A.M. Once again, the Fourth with the Chinese is great) but the final balloon was a mystery until it was inflated, but when it stood it was all too perfect, Felix the cat.
As one of the few members of my generation who has any idea who Felix is, allow me to explain.  Felix is a cartoon cat with a magical bag that he can pull anything out of. I have an aunt who has excellent taste in collectibles and for a period she collected Felix the Cat paraphernalia. Felix was a childhood manifestation of that part of us that loves a band simply because nobody else has heard of them.  Felix was hipster for Saturday morning cartoons.  More importantly Felix will forever be associated with family for me.  Felix will always have a special place in my heart.
I was in charge of Felix and I was ready.  We started to move into the parade line ready to roll.  At this point Roger’s roommate (American) Michael had showed up and we got in our positions.  I took my position at the front of the float when the attendant in charge of our float, an employee named Jamari, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I would be willing to stand in the back and pull the plug to deflate the balloon under the power lines as needed.  Was I scared? Yes, but I was ready.  I circled up the crew, Judy, Michael, Roger, put out our hands and led a “1, 2, 3, Team!” To my pleasure Jamari joined between 2 and 3. 
The importance of this step was reiterated by announcement that these were $30,000 balloons. Had I stopped and thought about this figure I probably would have realized how ridiculous it was.  I mean you are essentially choosing between investing in the down payment towards a $150,000 home or an inflatable comic character from the twenties.  In fact a Google search right now reveals that an inflatable balloon costs no more than $450. Yet in the moment I was willing to put life and limb between harm and Felix.
As we were about to leave Jamari gave me the stern reminder, “You know you have the most important job.” I gave no words but nodded slowly.  I must have expressed weakness in some way however, as Chuck saw some inherent flaw in my composition and decided to delegate my duties to another.  Who am I to complain? This was Chuck’s world.  I graciously retook my spot in the gallows as a simple puller of the float.
We got in line but were still waiting.  What does one do when one has way too much excitement and energy?  Why Tecktoniks of course! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzYXWLVU3o.  I’d give an explanation but that would just ruin it.  Just know I didn’t initiate it.
Soon we were off.  No sooner had the parade route started than people started yelling at us to spin the balloon.  Jamari told us that the float could come undone if we were to do so and the unspoken havoc that this would cause was left unsaid.  Yet like a child determined to play with the electrical socket the crowd demanded over and over again that we spin the balloon.  I tried every parenting technique I knew to abate the crowd.  I tried reasoning with them, explaining how dangerous it could be.  I tried to pass the blame, pointing the finger at Jamari.  I tried to divert their attention, explaining to them that it really isn’t that cool to see a balloon turn.  And like any parent we eventually caved and spun the balloon just in front of the Provo Library. However, it is never enough. Immediately exiting the spin a particularly vocal man demanded we do another.  I explained that we just had to which he responded, “Why do you hate America?” Let this be a lesson though to all you future balloon pullers out there. If you give a mouse a cookie, he will tell you that you hate America. 
All of this was a small grain amidst the smiles of and waves from children and other caring individuals.  In particular one lady standing at 100 S giving us a strong steady clap with a proud face as if to tell us, “I don’t know who you are or where you are going, but today you are a balloon puller and I salute you.” It’s moments like that which make it all worth it.
Along the way MC’s gave tidbits of history to the crowd who clearly had no idea who this floating cat was.  I learned that Felix debuted in 1919 on the silver screen.  He was also the first giant balloon ever, participating in the 1927 Macy’s day parade.  One MC even went as far as to say “He has been adored by millions and is America’s favorite cat.”  You hear that Garfield, the Aristocats, and Grumpy Cat? King Felix has not yet given up his throne.
We finished the route and took the balloon to its de-staging area.  As we were entering Jamari told us that the parade was a walk to remember. I answered that I would never look at life the same.  We enjoyed our last moments pulling a balloon and approaching Chuck and the other floats.  At this point Chuck had taken off his shirt only to expose several tatoos adding to the overall effect.  We thanked the crew and asked where they would go next.  Chuck told us that they travelled “The world, Japan, Argentina, France, Europe,” participating in parades.  I briefly imagined how disappointed a parade planner in Japan would be to fly in this crew, before I decided just to be like the balloon and go with the flow.  This is their world and I am but a grateful transient observer.
As we were walking away leaving Jamari asked if we would be back next year.  It was with a twinge of regret that I realized I had come to “get” the parade and surprise of all surprises, would miss it.  I told him that I was moving away and likely not.
“Where to?”
“Durham, North Carolina,”
“Oh you’ll love it there.  You have to go to Bojangles!”
http://www.bojangles.com/locations/us/nc Consider it done Jamari.  Consider it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment